What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a system of healing that has been practised in China and other Eastern countries for thousands of years. Although often described as a means of pain relief, it is in fact used to treat people with a wide range of illnesses and health concerns. Its focus is on improving the overall wellbeing in a person rather than just treating isolated symptoms.
According to traditional Chinese philosophy, our health is dependent on the body's motivating life energy - known as Qi - moving in a smooth and balanced way through a series of channels beneath the skin. Qi consists of equal and opposite qualities - Yin and Yang - and when these become imbalanced, illness may result.
By inserting fine needles into these channels of energy, an acupuncturist can stimulate the body's own healing response and help restore a natural balance. The flow of Qi can be disturbed by a number of factors. These include emotional stresses; poor nutrition; hereditary factors; infections; medications and trauma.
The principal aim of acupuncture is to regain equilibrium between the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects in an individual so that they may live a happy, healthy life.
Many people come to acupuncture for help with specific symptoms or conditions. These include: anxiety, depression, arthritis, asthma, back pain, circulation problems, high blood pressure, migraines, sciatica, infertility, menstrual problems, skin conditions and digestive complaints.
Some people may have acupuncture as a preventive measure to strengthen their constitution, or because they feel unwell in themselves without being 'ill' in a traditional sense. It can also be used alongside conventional medicine in the treatment of both acute and chronic diseases. As with any therapy, the response from one person to another can vary. Some people respond well in 1 to 2 sessions and others may need a longer course of sessions over several months.
Acupuncture for pain and injuries
Pain is caused by a blockage in the Qi or energy flow throughout the body. These blockages can be caused by a sudden injury or they can occur as a gradual process over some years.
How can acupuncture help pain? Acupuncture as well as cupping, Chinese massage and moxibustion can assist in the recovery of painful conditions such as:
- Arthritic joints
- Migraines and Headaches
- Sinus inflammation
- RSI and tendonitis
- Tennis elbow
- Knee pain
- Back and hip pain
- Neck and shoulder discomfort
- Plantar fasciitis and foot pain
- Calf tightness and pain
- Ankle injuries
- Frozen shoulder or rotator cuff injuries
Why is acupuncture effective in treating painful conditions?
Studies have shown that acupuncture stimulates the release of pain-relieving hormones such as endorphins and neurotransmitter substances. Acupuncture also increases the blood flow to the immediate area and thus accelerates the healing time for musculoskeletal injuries
How long will it take to feel better?
Usually a course of treatment is needed. The length of the course is based on the condition. A short term condition may only need between 1 and 3 treatments. More stubborn conditions may require 6 to 8 treatments. Generally the longer the person has had the condition the more treatments they will need. Early treatment will aid in a faster recovery.
Chinese Medicine & Acupuncture for Fertility
- Wanting to start a family, but having trouble conceiving?
- Wanting to conceive naturally before you try IVF?
- Wanting to prepare your body before you start IVF?
- Wanting acupuncture before and after embryo transfers or egg pickups?
We provide specialist acupuncture and herbal medicine treatments for couples wanting to conceive. Traditional Chinese medicine has a long history of helping couples to conceive and this awareness is now widespread all over the world. Acupuncture can help to maximise your chances of falling pregnant naturally or with IVF.
Who can we help?
- Couples given an "unexplained infertility" or "functional infertility"- In reality many couples given unexplained reasons for not conceiving are not clinically infertile, they may simply not be in emotional or physical reproductive balance. Chinese Medicine helps to address this imbalance with skilful diagnosis and treatment plans to regulate your hormones to maximise your chances of falling pregnant.
- Couples having difficulties who want to conceive naturally before trying IVF - This can be the result of female or male factors. PCOS, Endometriosis, Premature Ovarian Failure, Abnormal or Low Sperm count and motility,
- Couples wanting to maximise their chances with IVF, ICSI, - For couples going through IVF we provide preparatory treatments to help address any imbalances and strengthen your bodies to get the best possible outcomes. We provide treatments before you start your cycles which can help to increase the blood flow to the uterus and ovaries. This helps to improve the quality and quantity of follicles produced by the ovaries and increase the endometrial lining thickness, which aids in better chances of implantation. We also provide before and after acupuncture treatments for any procedures such as egg pickups and embryo transfers, which research has been found to increase implantation and pregnancy.
How we can help
We make individual diagnosis, check your medical history including any blood tests and ultrasounds or request these if necessary, check any current BBT charts, check your tongue and pulse and provide any necessary lifestyle and dietary advice. We provide acupuncture with all consultations and weekly herbal medicine prescriptions as needed. Apart from that we are open ears and want to hear from you and how you are going. We understand it can be a difficult and anxious time for couples, and we are here to provide you with a great deal of care!
Acupuncture during Pregnancy
Lisa provides support to pregnant women to ensure your health throughout pregnancy and closer to labour.
Acupuncture can treat a range of pregnancy related concerns including:
- morning sickness
- back pain, neck pain & sciatica
- digestive complaints
- anxiety & depression
- preparing for birth